Psychology can be broadly defined as the study of the mind. Psychologies carry out research and conduct programs in an attempt to understand human behavior to help solve human problems. Psychologist applies their knowledge and techniques to a wide range of human services, management, education, law and sports. Let’s know how to become psychologist.
Who are psychologists?
Educational psychologists design, develop and evaluate educational programs. They deal with learning, behavior and emotional problems as well as with handicapped children.
Counseling psychologists help people on how to deal with problems of everyday living, personal, social, educational, or vocational.
Cognitive psychologists study the brain’s role in memory, thinking and perception and involve themselves with research related to artificial intelligence.
Clinical psychologist concerns themselves with mental health programs ranging from normal psychological crisis to extreme conditions. They work in psychiatric hospitals and clinics, with patients in the community and even in old people’s homes, children’s homes and remand centers Social psychologists study group behavior, leadership, attitudes and interpersonal perception.
Skills for Psychologist
- Basic curiosity about human behaviors: Good students have always curious about their courses or their subjects.
- Ethical standards of dealing with problems: A good psychologist do not wrong use of his knowledge that why a good psychologist believe in ethics and follows ethical standards.
- Systematic and methodical: You study or methods should be in systematic manner.
- Fascination with working of human mind: You should have good interest and attraction towards human mind, how it work and behavior of human mind.
- Emotional strong, logical thinking and tolerant: To become a psychologist, you should have good control on your emotions. In addition, you should have more logical, more tolerant person rather than other normal peoples.
After 12th apply for a bachelor degree in field of psychology. After that you have to take admission in master degree(post-graduation) in psychology. Also having a graduate degree from any recognized university. Further you should complete your M.Phil. & Ph. D. courses, for this complete your master’s degree in psychology. Courses for bachelor degree or master degree given below in details:
Bachelor degree of three Year in following field:
- B.A. (Hons) in Psychology
- B. Sc. in Psychology
- Bachelor of Arts in Psychology
Master degree of Two Year in following field:
- Master of Arts in Psychology
- Master of Arts in Applied Psychology
- Master of Arts in Counseling Psychology
- M. Sc. in Psychology
Doctoral degree of Two Year in the following:
- Doctor of Philosophy in Psychology
- M. Phil in Psychology
Career growth for Psychologist
If you are thinking about career growth in field of psychologist then you should read below levels how your success growth in going in field becoming a psychologist:
Assistant Psychologist: First you have to join as assistant psychologist.
Psychologist: After completed level one you become a psychologist.
Associate Professor: After becoming a psychologist, you can choose your career as associate professor in field of psychologist.
Assistant Professor: After becoming you will get a promotion and becoming an assistant professor.
Level 5 of How to become Psychologist
Professor: Next promotion you will get as a Professor very reputed post in the world.
Level 6 of How to become Psychologist
Head of department: Finally last promotion you will make yourself as head of department.
Where you get a Job
Hospitals: National institute of mental health (NIMHANS), Apollo hospitals, Fortis hospitals, Manipal hospitals.
NGOs: The banyan community mental health project, Viswas society for mental health.
Colleges: You can join college as an associate professor, assistant professor or as professor.
Outside of India is also a good demand of psychologist. Everywhere is you demand, because good psychologist are difficult to find. Psychologist is also a doctor from other doctor.
Salary of psychologist in India
In India, salary of psychologist about 2.5 to 3.5 lacs per annum. After experience you will receive huge earning.
If we discuss about salary of psychologist in America, You can earn in starting more than 70,000 dollar per year, and after experience you will receive more.
Psychologist earning depend on many points, His education, specialization, working field or according to his experience etc. Job profile of psychologist we discuss soon and we will see more how to become psychologist.