Serving the nation is not only the dream of many. As we live in a society, where people want us to become either a doctor or an engineer. But also, they choose profession like IPS. So, How to become IPS officer, lets check the details.
Indian Police Service (IPS) is one of post from Civil Service. Which is not so easy to get. One needs to pass through the hardest of hurdles, tests, training to be an IPS officer. So, today we will be discussing. All the requirements to become an IPS, such as the educational qualifications, examinations, training programs, and so on. So, if your dream is to be IPS officer. Then go through the article. It’s try to clarifies all your queries. Also, this will help to improve your G.K. (general knowledge) as well.
Duty of an IPS officer, and furthermore
Who are IPS officers?
It is a high-ranked civil service post under the All-Indian services. So that, contributes to major part of servicing the nation apart from Indian Administrative Services (IAS) and Indian forest services (IFS). It has replaced “Indian Imperial Police”. Just one year after the independence in 1947 of India. An IPS can be work for both union and state government. The cadre of IPS is controlled by the MHA (Home Ministry of India). To know how to become IPS officer before we need to check some roles and responsibilities of IPS.
Roles and responsibilities of IPS officers
- Coming to the point of duty of an IPS officer. In fact, they provide leadership to state and union territories, National disaster Response forces (NDRF), National Security Guards (NSG), Research and Analysis Wing (R&AW), Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) and to many more.
- Secondly, they aim to safeguard the public, their interest and maintain peace among them.
- They serve for both state and central governments.
- They lay more importance on law and order. To predict any criminal activity, take safety measures, etc.
- Also, they exchange information with the top RAW departments, CBI, CID, etc.
- Then, interact with other civil servants such as IAS, IRS for maintaining the integrity of the nation.
If anyone want to get IPS post. One should know about the IPS in general terms, its roles, and responsibilities. We should now move on to know what are the educational qualifications and other required criteria.
Educational Qualification of IPS officer?
Talking about the educational qualification, you needs a bachelor’s degree from any stream but, the degree needs to be recognized by the UGC. In case, if one doesn’t possess the degree, then they must have any other which has to be equivalent to a degree.
What equivalent degree means?
Equivalent means values of things are same whatever they are different. Suppose, you want apply for Master of Computer Application. For this you need bachelor degree from computer applications. But when we say equivalent degree is also eligible means that you can use any other degree B.Sc., B.A., B.Com to take admission for Master of Computer Application.
Means of Recognized University is that. It must be approved by UGC & AICTE.
Examination details for IPS
To become an IPS officer. You need to pass the civil services exams, that is conducted by UPSC for the last 20 years. This examination is divides into 2 major categories, prelims, and mains. Adding to this, the application and selection process is same for all the services. Also, approximately near about 8 lakh, people apply for the post of IPS. Where only 800 are selected. On passing both the exams, a final interview round is held to recruit the merit ones.
Usually, the selection process begins in June and concludes in April, where the final list is declared in May. Here, the examination type is offline based, implying it’s pen and paper test. UPSC provides you a total of 6 attempts for applying. further, You can check official and latest guidelines link given at the end of article.
In prelims, there are two papers, namely paper 1 and paper 2 each of 200 marks. One needs to attend and write both the evaluation papers. And will be disqualified if he/she attempts only one. Also, both these papers have multiple choice cum objective type questions. And, paper 2 weighs only 33% marks for sitting in the mains.
Topics you need to cover are as follows
- Current affairs of national and international.
- History of India.
- National Movement in Indian.
- Economic & Social Development concept.
- General issues on environmental ecology, also on bio-diversity basic concepts.
- Indian and world geography.
- Indian politics and its governance
- Logical reasoning
- Analytical ability.
- Decision-making and problem-solving.
- Interpersonal skills and communication skills.
- Basic mathematics of class 10th standard.
- Mental ability basic levels.
Mains Exam Syllabus
For becoming IPS, Mains Exam Syllabus must read carefully. This mains paper is designed to test the candidate’s academic profile rationally. How strong one is in writing skills, languages, and other subjects as well. there is only one paper of 300 marks, where the marks are not counted but, it’s mandatory to pass.
Topics to be covered
- Precis writing skills.
- Short essay.
- Vocabulary skills.
- Translation skills (sentence conversion from English to other languages and vice-versa.)
Well, till this I hope your queries regarding the subject matter, exam papers had cleared. So, now we will move on to know the eligibility criteria in terms of physical ability.
Eligibility criteria for IPS officer
Eligibility criteria is must be fulfil to becoming IPS officer. Here’s below discussing the physical criteria for males and females both and other as well.
- Height: The minimum height requirement for General Categories, for males = 165 cm; For female = 150 cm. Furthermore, the minimum height requirement for SC, ST and OBC’s Categories, for males = 160 cm; For female = 145 cm
- Chest Girth: The minimum chest girth for men is 84cm and for women is 79cm.
- Myopia: Including the cylinder, it shouldn’t exceed -4.00D.
- Hyper myopia: Including cylinder shouldn’t exceed +4.00D.
To fulfill the criteria of nationality, one has to be complete any one of the below mentioned.
- Citizen of India.
- The subject of Nepal.
- The subject of Bhutan.
- A Tibetan refugee, those who came to India for permanent settlement before 1st January 1962.
- Or, migrant from any of the neighboring countries for permanent settlement. Countries included are Pakistan, Uganda, Kenya, Zambia, Malawi, Ethiopia, Vietnam, Burma, Sri Lanka, and lastly the Republic of Tanzania.
- Minimum qualifying age is 21 years and maximum age is 32 years. Well, is for the general people.
- For SC/ST candidate’s maximum relaxation is about 5 years.
- For OBC candidate’s maximum age relaxation is about 3 years.
- Candidates from the state of Jammu and Kashmir, the maximum age relaxation is of 5 years.
- 10 years Relaxation for physically disabled people.
Now, knowing the physical criteria eligibility, we shall know are several attempts for candidates belonging to different backgrounds.
- To general category candidates, there are only 6 attempts.
- For SC and ST, there is no limit.
- For OBC’s candidates 9 attempts are available.
Thus, to conclude one needs to pass all these fields, and then can move on to the training section. Unless and until they pass, they cannot move ahead. So, to summarize it’s not easy get IPS post. Sheer determination, hard work, dedication is needed. Visualizing dreams is not enough. You need to work on them unless and until you achieve them. Since not all dreamers cannot be winners. Nevertheless, the decision lies in your hand. Whether, you want to break it or make it. If make it, then make your efforts count.
For official notifications of Civil Services vacancies, please visit official portal, link given below: